Friday, August 3, 2007

Haas makes triumphant return after Wimbledon withdrawal

Haas makes triumphant return after Wimbledon withdrawal

by Jim Slater

WASHINGTON, Aug 1, 2007 (AFP) - Tommy Haas was triumphant in his first match since a torn stomach muscle forced him to withdraw from Wimbledon, defeating Alejandro Falla 6-3, 6-2 on Wednesday at the ATP Washington Classic.

German second seed Haas pulled out of Wimbledon before a fourth-round match against Swiss world number one Roger Federer but was rarely in jeopardy in his comeback match, advancing to face American Michael Russell in the third round.

Haas, who lost his only prior meeting with Falla in March at Miami, broke the Colombian in the eighth game of the first set and three times in the second set for the victory, improving to 27-8 for the year.

Haas won his 398th career ATP match in quest of his 12th career title and second this year, having beaten Washington top seed Andy Roddick in February's Memphis final.

Otherwise, it was a day of upsets at the 600,000-dollar US Open tuneup event, with Sweden's Thomas Johansson rallying past defending champion and fourth seed Arnaud Clement of France 1-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Clement, playing after a right-side muscle tear that had kept him off the court 10 days, overpowered the 2002 Australian Open winner to take the first set in 30 minutes but Johansson's fightback was too much.

"After 6-1, I thought maybe I could win this match," Clement said. "Then he played a little better and I was a little tight. He was just better than me the last two sets.

"I was very relaxed. I just came this year because I won last year. I didn't expect to play this well a few days ago, so for me it's not such a bad day."

US novice John Isner, in only his second ATP event, fired 30 aces to beat German eighth seed Benjamin Becker 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (8/6). One day after ousting Britain's Tim Henman, the 22-year-old ATP hardcourt debutante sparkled again.

"It was awesome. This is unbelievable. It really is a dream come true," said Isner. "These were the two biggest matches of my life. It's unbelievable I won them the way I did."

German Michael Berrer ousted US sixth seed Mardy Fish 7-6 (7/4), 6-4, in the other upset at the 600,000-dollar event. Fish, slowed by left knee tendinitis, said he needs a month's rest but must prepare for the US Open.

"I'd be lying to you if I said it was a good idea to play this tournament," Fish said. "It probably would have been a better idea to stay home."

Johansson, 32 and pondering retirement, leveled his career rivalry with Clement at 5-5. He will play Chile's Paul Capdeville on Thursday for what would be only the Swede's second quarter-final berth in 18 events this year.

"I'm getting older. It's getting tough to keep up with these young guys," Johansson said. "After this year I have to set down and think about next year."

Clement was a semi-finalist at Queen's and finalist at Nottingham before his first-round Wimbledon ouster in June.

"I didn't serve very good. My first serve wasn't working. I didn't move very well," Clement said. "It was tough to play my best. I need a few more days to practice. I think it's going to be better next week."

Isner, 22, made the field only after world number six Fernando Gonzalez of Chile pulled out at the last moment. He will next face US qualifier Wayne Odesnik, who ousted Argentina's Juan Martin Del Potro 3-6 7-6 (12/10), 6-3.

Becker hit a forehand wide on the penultimate point, slamming his racket to the court in disgust, and Isner smashed a service winner for the match, then leaned back, pumped his fists and screamed with joy.

"I was ecstatic. I knew I had to hit a big serve and get off the court and that's what happened," Isner said.

Czech Radek Stepanek, who won his second career ATP crown two weeks ago at Los Angeles, beat hometown hero Paul Goldstein 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 and advanced to a third round match with Roddick.

No comments: